From Lijsbet's Desk

Medieval plans, progress, and philosophy

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, CO

I am a married mother of two furry children and one naked one. I live in the southern suburbs of Denver, CO, and work for one of the best companies going. My job takes me away from home as much as 75% of the time, so I try to cram as much creativity into the remainder as I can.

9.01.2006

Event, but no

I guess we didn't get up early enough.

Friday is a day off for me, and Robert took the day off as well. Which was good, because we had planned to get to the site at noon today. Of course, that was before we remembered that we were parents of a school-aged child, and we adjusted for a after-school departure.

We figured we'd be packing all morning, but as it turned out, we pretty much finished up projects all morning. Robert sawed off another 2" of the king pole, he painted table legs, he secured the dowels inside the PVC pipe. Three times. He finished Evan's bed, and screwed together the last panel of the kitchen table. I stitched the bag for the bed, a "door" to fill in the gap in the walls we discovered upon test-hanging the walls last night, I made pins to fit Evan's new little bed, and drilled two more closet poles to hold up the kitchen fly. We cut down plywood to a more managable 6' lenghth for the dining table. We staged tables and beds on the driveway, and packed clothing and bedding. All the while I was trying to finish a side project that I'd promised to get done by the event.

By the time Savina showed up at about 4:30, we were mostly packed, but we were so tired as to be in a fit state to be subject to a suggestion that we might want to wait until morning to show up on site. Besides, it had turned cold and misty, and no one was eager to erect large canvas tents in the wet. Really, we'd probably not be there if it was dry and sunny, but it seemed sufficient cause at the time.

Packing for Three Stags confirmed a nagging suspicion - we must have a trailer. The plywood bed platform is really too long to safely (or comfortably) carry inside the minivan. And we left two chests of dishes and the open-fire cooking gear at home. Still the car was overloaded. Evan had to ride with Savina for us to get it all in. This is not likely to work for events where we want to take the whole kit. The goal is a used trailer by Estrella. Either that, or we're paying a chunk of the cost for the Baronial truck.

After supper out (and wine!) we finished up a few items before bed. Robert went out to pick up breakfast things. We plan to rise at 6:00 in the morning to get a early start. He says there's 20 minutes of packing to do. We'll feel better in the morning, I'm sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home