From Lijsbet's Desk

Medieval plans, progress, and philosophy

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, CO

I am a married mother of two furry children and one naked one. I live in the southern suburbs of Denver, CO, and work for one of the best companies going. My job takes me away from home as much as 75% of the time, so I try to cram as much creativity into the remainder as I can.

8.24.2006

The Dreaded Last Seam has been conquered

Robert and I gritted our teeth and completed the dreaded last seam. It involved shoving about half of the tent through the arm of the sewing machine, while lifting a large percentage of the rest of the tent. At least it's done.

We also made the patterns for the estoile and began the painting routine. We went through a sixth of the paint on a seventh of the rays. I need more paint; fortunately I saved the paint chip, so I can get a fairly reliable match. I still have to paint the valance, and so I have to consider that I need enough paint to finish that as well. And the finial, which is currently blue. Maybe I should have gotten a gallon, but I still think that's going to be too much.

Once the estoile is finished, I need to cut out the valance and begin painting on it. I still need to pattern it. I thought the pattern was fairly common as an ornament in the illumination corpus, but I'm having some difficulty finding it in two of my big illumination books. There is a Frankish example which will suffice, but if I only had Frederick's Limborg brothers book, I'm guessing it's in there.

Since we replaced the nickel grommets with brass, there is a small amount of re-sewing that needs to happen at the roofline of some of the panels. That's another thing on the "to-do" list.

Robert began to paint the kingpole brown, but it was in the dark, and so we'll see what it looks like in the light of day. In any case, it's a start.

I'm still not sure I have enough canvas for the hoop casing. Maybe another miracle will occur?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home