From Lijsbet's Desk

Medieval plans, progress, and philosophy

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, CO

I am a married mother of two furry children and one naked one. I live in the southern suburbs of Denver, CO, and work for one of the best companies going. My job takes me away from home as much as 75% of the time, so I try to cram as much creativity into the remainder as I can.

8.29.2006

But for a lack of blue paint

The valance is done!

Well, not quite; there is that annoying lack of blue paint. The red leafy bits are all done in any case. The blue vine is well over half done, but I have to run to Guiry's to get more paint. Still hoping to stitch it together tonight.

I did not draft the design on the last 18" or so, since I don't really know the point at which the valance will end (or begin) and prefer to hand-draw the join when they get together. The reason is that there is quite a lot of "fudge factor" in building a single tent, and all the math in the world won't give a precise measurement of the sewn object.

For instance, I know that I used 60" canvas, which really varies from 58" to 60". Presuming that it is 60", and that there are 10 panels with 4" of seam allowance per panel used at the bottom of the panels, I should have a circumference of 46' 8". Yet, when we measured it, we got 47' plus a few inches. If I cut the valance at 46' 8", we'd be short. The seam allowance on the bottom of the panels must be taken into consideration, too. What's the measurement at the roof line, which is an inch or so above the bottom of the panels? And how accurate would a tape measure be taking that measurement. One would have to be very consistent about the seam allowance. What if we decide to add a fold to the roof line which increased the seam allowance from an inch to three?

See? Fudge factor. It's pretty amazing how much organizing and ruminating your brain can do when you're painting 48' of red leafy bits.

So we cut four 12' panels, for a total of 48' of valance. I have to consider (1) the seam allowances took up 2" per panel, and (2) that I may have to make up that 8' plus even a little more. Thus piecing is not a possibility, but a likelihood. Still, I don't really know how the design is going to have to be modified to fit. There should be no interruption of the motif, after all.

In other news, Robert got Evan's bed fit together last night. We discovered that almost all of the mortises in the rails will have to be rasped out again to accommodate the pegs. Once we have it pegged together, we'll measure and cut the slats and the plywood platform.

Robert also stitched together a bag for the pegs. With ten in ours - one peg for each rail end, and two spares - there's no room for more. So, he'll have to make another.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home