From Lijsbet's Desk

Medieval plans, progress, and philosophy

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, CO

I am a married mother of two furry children and one naked one. I live in the southern suburbs of Denver, CO, and work for one of the best companies going. My job takes me away from home as much as 75% of the time, so I try to cram as much creativity into the remainder as I can.

8.30.2006

Maybe we do get two miracles on this tent

The title of today's post was going to be "Only one miracle per tent", and then...

Although I managed to get out yesterday for more blue paint, it was after supper before I began to finish that blue vine. While at Guiry's, I also picked up a pack of white bristle brushes; the pack included a filbert, which is the brush that I had been wishing for over the last two weeks. The painting went well - better than it had - and the paint was dry by 9:00.

The valance is officially done. Actually the painting is officially done. Which brings us to the next step.

I love it when lots of little pieces become one. For instance, we started out with 10 roof pieces, 4 hoop casings, a strip of Dutch lacing, and a valance made from an unknown number of pieces. That's 16+ pieces of canvas. Once the roof and valance were sewn, we were down to 7 pieces. Last night we stitched the Dutch lacing strip to the roof; the tent top is now in 6 pieces.

When you retro-fit a tent like we're doing, you worry. I worried about the steel ring fitting the peak opening. I am worried about the valance being long enough (or too long). I'm worried about having enough hoop casing that the gaps won't be large. I'm worried that I didn't buy enough PVC. I didn't worry about the strip of Dutch lacing being long enough - after all, we thought we were making the circumference of the tent slightly less than Northstar I.

We should have worried.

As I got to the tenth roof panel (while stitching the Dutch lacing to the roof) it became apparent that the strip I had wouldn't reach the first panel. We were about 2 1/2' short.

Although this gap is easily reparable - I'll simply make a new 2 1/2' strip of Dutch lacing - the implications are rather large, from a work-to-do vs. time-to-do-it-in perspective. The walls in Northstar I fit the Dutch lacing. Therefore, the walls must be too short for Northstar II's roof line.

How can this be? The canvas we used is narrower by about 2", and I know I took a greater seam allowance in the roof panels. This make no sense at all. I guess I'll know for sure when I find the walls and lace them into the roof.

This morning found me digging in the garage before taking Evan to school. I was not looking for the walls, but for some nylon rope of a suitable size for my 2.5' of Dutch lacing. I keep a couple bags of miscellaneous rope in the garage for just such an occasion. However, as I pulled miles and miles of sisal, cotton, and large nylon rope out of the bags, it quickly became apparent that I was not going to find the right size of rope. What I did find was a strip of incomplete Dutch lacing, apparently a scrap from Northstar I, and about the right length. It remains to be seen if there's enough rope attached.

A second miracle? The real miracle will be if I don't have to add a panel to the walls to make them fit Northstar II.

By the way, we broke 4 needles on the tent last night. They just don't like going over the ropes in the Dutch lacing, although they sail right through layers and layers of canvas.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home