From Lijsbet's Desk

Medieval plans, progress, and philosophy

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, CO

I am a married mother of two furry children and one naked one. I live in the southern suburbs of Denver, CO, and work for one of the best companies going. My job takes me away from home as much as 75% of the time, so I try to cram as much creativity into the remainder as I can.

8.21.2006

...and then a miracle happened

As of yesterday, I began worrying about the peak. With seven panels together, it was looking more and more like the peak vent was too large, that our steel ring would not fit inside the vent. This would cause a major disruption. Either the peak would have to be pieced to fit the ring, or we'd have to replace the ring - and the ropes to boot. I watched every panel as they were stitched in place tonight. We managed to assemble all ten, although the dreaded final two stitches on the tenth French seam were too formidable for late last night. However, with the installation of the tenth panel, we could tell two things - the ring fits (albeit with very little fudge factor) and the roofline is just under 48 feet in circumference.

Maybe two miracles, then. We don't have an issue with the peak vent, and the 4 yards extra of Sunforger I purchased yesterday will be just enough to do the valance and the PVC hoop casing. It's not that the cost of the Sunforger is prohibitive; it's the hour that has to be dedicated to driving up to the Mousetrap and back. And the gasoline.

While I was measuring roof seams, Robert cut 18' of hoop casing out of scrap. We need 48', so he's not nearly done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home